What to Do After a Car Crash in Maine

What to Do After a Car Crash in Maine

Car accidents can happen to the most experienced and careful drivers. If this happens to you, try to stay focused and follow the next steps. In case of an auto accident resulting in injury, death, or property damage estimated at more than $1000, you will have to report to either state or local police in Maine.


Before anything, you should check if everyone involved (including you and the passengers) is safe and sound. Next, try to get your vehicle off the road and help the other party. Again, check all parties for injuries and call 911 immediately if anyone is hurt.


The next thing to do is to photograph the crash to the best of your ability. Also, you are legally required to exchange insurance information with any other drivers involved. You are not allowed to leave the scene until you’ve given your information to the other parties involved.


Even after you leave the scene, you’ll have to inform the following parties of the accident:

• The Local police (if they are not already at the scene)

• The Local DMV in your area

• Your current insurance company provider (you will need to call the claims number that has been provided to you)


When Should I Report my Accident to the Police?

As a rule of thumb, you should report an accident to law enforcement as soon as possible. If the police were already on-site, you don’t need to file a report.


When/Why to Report the accident to the DMV

While no laws in Maine require you to report to the DMV, the information on your accident will be accessible to them via the Maine State Police Crash Database. You can access the records for a small processing fee if you need the reports for a future personal injury lawsuit or insurance claim.


If you decide to open a personal injury lawsuit, you should contact a professional, and here’s where we, at Legal Chiefs, come in. Get in touch with us and we’ll connect you with an experienced attorney for your particular case.


Find an Auto Accident Injury Attorney Today



Auto Accident FAQ

Your first and foremost action following an accident is to stay calm, check if you or anyone else involved has been injured, and call the police. Get the name and contact information of all parties involved in the accident as well as any witnesses of the event. To document the damage, take pictures of the accident scene, the vehicles, and your injuries. It’s important not to admit liability until you hire an attorney because they will conduct a thorough investigation to establish the driver at fault.
Right after a car accident, you may feel fine, but injuries can surface days, weeks, and even months later. That’s why it’s good to see a doctor even if you don’t believe you were injured in the accident. Your doctor can recognize issues or injuries that won’t immediately become apparent to you and alert you to warning signs of injuries that may arise due to the accident. If you fail to treat your injuries within a certain period of time, you may forfeit your right to get reimbursement for future medical costs. The general rule is not to settle auto accident claims without having been examined by a medical professional.
In most cases, you won’t have to go to court. The majority of auto accident claims are resolved outside of court after negotiating the terms with the insurer. Most insurance companies generally try to settle claims as quickly as possible and for as little money as possible, so it’s wise to have an attorney negotiate on your behalf.
In addition to taking pictures of the accident scene and taking the contact information of the involved parties and witnesses, your detailed explanation of how the accident happened is also necessary to file a claim. Law enforcement reports of the accident will also serve as crucial evidence in your claim.
Many factors determine the driver at fault in an auto accident case. Do not accept any part of the blame until the investigation has concluded. Even if the investigation finds that you are partially at fault, you may still be entitled to receive compensation. There are cases when the victim also shares part of the blame for an accident. If, for example, you were driving five to ten mph over the speed limit when the accident happened, this would have limited your reaction time, and you could likely be considered a negligent driver even if you weren’t the one to cause the crash. Different states have different ways of settling auto accident claims where more than one driver is at fault. So it’s best to check the specific laws in your state (or the state where the accident took place) or discuss the matter with your auto accident injury lawyer.
It happens surprisingly often that people get into an auto accident where the driver at fault doesn’t have insurance. In these situations, it’s wise to have an auto insurance policy that comes with Uninsured Motorist (UM) coverage. That way, if you get into an accident and the at-fault driver doesn’t have insurance, you will still be able to file your claim under the UM coverage you have with your own insurance company. Your insurer will then process the claim following the same process as it would for an opposing insurer. The only difference is that the claim will be against your UM coverage and not against another driver. Likewise, if you were involved in a hit-and-run accident where the responsible driver fled the scene before you could take their information, you can again seek compensation from your UM coverage.
Suppose you suffered injuries after an auto accident that was caused by another driver’s negligence. In that case, there are two main types of damages that you may seek compensation for: compensatory (a.k.a. monetary) and punitive damages. Compensatory damages are the most common type of damages in a personal injury claim, and they often include: ● Current and future medical bills ● Property damage ● Emotional duress ● Lost wages ● Loss of enjoyment of life ● Loss of future earnings potential On the other hand, punitive damages are much rarer, but they can occur in situations where the vehicle manufacturer is to blame.